A blog about my journey of training to run a 1/2 marathon with Team In Training and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and beyond.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Full Circle

September, for those of you who don't know, is Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month. Pediatric Cancer is the reason that I started this journey.  No, I didn't have cancer when I was a kid, and no, Thank God my children haven't had it, but I have seen so many of those close to me be affected by it. My journey began because of it. My journey has been cyclic to say the least. Lots of starting and stopping and starting again. But recently, I feel like I have started a new cycle. That I have once again returned full circle. So I would like to time some time to remember why I started in the first place. Those of you who have never went back to my very first post, please do. No recap can ever truly capture the emotions and determination I expressed in that very first post. But here it goes:

Well, here I am, 2 years later and I'm still a little fat girl. A little thinner is spots and less jiggly in others, but still have that pair of not-so-skinny jeans. I can keep up with my kids, but would love to have whatever super energy-charged fairy dust that they apparently have in unlimited supply. I'm still on that mission to get back into shape, be healthy, and be a good example for my kids. They are now starting to get the "running thing", and I have 2 little accountability monitors that ask me every day if I'm going to go running. : ) Apparently, Momma get a little crabby when she misses too many days because they will bring my shoes to me and open the front door. What's that about, huh?! : ) I haven't done any activities with Team-In-Training this year and plan to remedy that next year. They are a great organization that I fully support. I will be forever grateful to the coaches, teammates, and friends that supported and loved me as I started my journey. More importantly, I am grateful that they make such a difference in this world. TNT is a part of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Let me tell you why they are so precious to me.





I have two good friends who lost their little boy to leukemia. His name was Jamison. He was 2. I am still amazed these years later at how my friends handled such a devestating tragedy with such grace and how they continue to use their own loss to encourage others and give hope, love, and support to those who need it. See that little guy bottom row, third from the left, that's Jamison.  As a parent myself, I knew that nothing I could say or do would help take away any of the pain that my friends were feeling. Yet I was desperate to try something, anything to help them. So when the opportunity to raise money and awareness for Leukemia came up, I seized it.  I would run to honor Jamison. I know that it sounds silly, but it's true. Running is not been easy for me. I have bleed, cried, and puked during training. I have exhausted myself to the point of collapse. I have iced, elevated, and heated every part of my body. And I did it all to honor one little boy. Yet Jamison did something for me too. He changed my life, and I will always be grateful to him for that.
 
 

Now running and I still don't always get along, but running is like family. I may be able to fight with it and perhaps even say something bad about it, but by golly, no one else better try to. : ) There is still tears, screams, cramps, shin splints, and sometimes even a little vomit, but if my friends can survive what they have been through then I can still survive a few measly little miles. I still hope that I can make a difference, in one way or another. My hope is still that one day no other parents, friends, or families have to go through what my friends have gone through.

I am always running in the memory of Jamison Watters.




But Jami, this next one is for you.

Much Love To You ALL.




If you feel moved to do so, you can donate to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society at http://www.lls.org/waystohelp/donate/donateonline/

No comments:

Post a Comment