A blog about my journey of training to run a 1/2 marathon with Team In Training and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and beyond.

Monday, May 31, 2010

Out Among Nature

Okay, so for the long weekend, my husband, the kiddos, and I decided to go visit his family's farm in Arkansas. It is really beautiful up there, but not exactly condusive to my training. I was all psyched to do my run, 4 miles, out among Nature. The trees and hills and forest creatures. I had even planned to stop in a meadow and twirl while I sang a Disney song and all the little critters came to listen. : ) Instead, I got lots of rain and thunder, bugs big enough to carry off even a fat girl, and an angry momma cow that very quickly turned me into a sprinter. They had a little trail carved out where they regularly run the tractor, so I took off running down it. I was being bombarded by Jurassic Park size bugs, and just knew that one of them was going to pick me up and carry me off or at least mug me for my IPod. I got about a mile into my run when I rounded a corner and there stood the cutest little speckled calf. I immediately started looking for the momma because I knew she had to be nearby. Sure enough, there she stood out to my left. I started backing up slowly when momma decided she didn't like my shoes or the way I looked in my running shorts. I don't know, but I do know that she wanted me away from the calf, so I was more than happy to oblige and quickly. Then came the rain, oh the rain. Giant pelting raindrops. Thunder claps so loud that they shook the ground, and which at first, I mistook for the angry cow coming to get me. So this weekend is the first time that I have not gotten in all my miles. I'm a little upset about it, but I will add a mile onto my workouts this week to make up for it. It was nice to see the grandparents and it was the first time that they had seen Isa. So it was worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment