A blog about my journey of training to run a 1/2 marathon with Team In Training and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and beyond.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Running Tights and Other Clothing Tribulations

Okay, here's the deal. Running isn't easy for me. I have to work at running. So I use every tool at my disposal to help make it easier, including running tights, compression pants, and tight tanks. Now as you know (and my blog name clearly states) the words: small, tiny, petite, thin, skinny, non-jiggly are not used to describe me. So..... While I know that spandex is a privilege, not a right, I wear running tights and I don't care what you think.

There are two main reasons why I wear them (and a few sub-reasons) and I am going to share them with you now.

Reason #1: I swell. A LOT. Like a lot lot. I swell up like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon. I am the giant Snoopy floating down the street, trying to take out some of my handlers down below. It's a symptom of my lupus. I've done it for years. It's a year-round thing, but gets worse in the winter and....when I longer distances. So I have found that compression running tights helps keep the swelling to a minimum and that feels awesome.

Sub-reason #1: Because they are so tight. They keep some of the jiggle out of my wiggle. ; ) Which also feels awesome.

Reason #2: When running longer distances, I really don't want loose clothes flopping around, creeping up, riding way up, digging in, rubbing raw, or doing any other thing that they should never do. I have tried just about every different type of running gear style out there, except those tiny lycra running shorts (because no body wants to see that and I don't wanna have to dig lycra shorts out of unmentionable places). I have tried sweats, windpants, loose capris, flared pants, tight capris, running skirts, shorts, you name it. I really have tried them all. I found that for me the bigger the clothing, the more flopping it does, the more it annoys me. I can't concentrate on my stride or breathing or tempo or anything else that I should be focused on. A few times all I could think about was wanting nothing more than to strip off whatever article of clothing that was irritating me. So I wear tighter clothing to help eliminate some of the problem/distraction. I won't wear shorts or a skirt over the tights because the flopping/riding up is again an issue.

Sub-reason #2: Big women want to look cute too! Big floppy ill-fitted clothes are not flattering on anyone. Why would bigger women be any different?! I'm not a pretty runner. I wish that I looked more like the people in running magazines that look like running is fun and easy, but I don't. I look like I am in pain and want to cry and/or puke all at the same time. So the least I can do is wear some cute running clothes.

Now cute running clothes in bigger sizes are difficult to find, but there are out there. Although, it would be nice if there were more options out there that would accommodate bigger hips and chest areas. **hint, hint, wink, wink** In the end, it really comes down to what are you comfortable in. Everyone is different. Some are more modest, others (like me) not so much. You should always be comfortable and confident in whatever you choose to wear, whether it be running or in general. You are beautiful!

That being said, you should always dress appropriately for the weather, climate, and time of day. And I insist that you invest in a good pair of running shoes and a really great running bra. The rest is up to you.


Peace, Love, and compression tights.

P.S. I  even incorporated them into my Halloween costume. Somewhere under all that tulle is an awesome pair of tights.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment