A blog about my journey of training to run a 1/2 marathon with Team In Training and the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and beyond.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Freedom to Run

There are days when I just don't want to put my running shoes on and head out the door. Yet most days I do it anyway. Today was one of those days. Today is the 4th of July, Independence Day, and one the of the few days that I am off work when I don't have anything that I HAVE to do. But I got a call early this morning from A asking if I wanted to go running. Sure, why not. I knew that it was going to be a rough and ragged run since my joints have been misbehaving as of late, with their puffiness and soreness. It did not disappoint! I was just a few yards in when my body started rebelling. I tried to ignore it the best I could, but no one in my family is quiet or shy, and that apparently includes body parts. It nagged and yelled at me the whole time and then just to slam home its point it puffed up so that I felt and looked like this after my run.



What you don't believe me?! I'm prone to exaggeration for dramatic effect? The hell you say! I swelled up like a marshmallow in a microwave. I could barely get me wedding ring off afterwards. My poor, poor little sausage fingers and toes. My 4 yo even asked me, "Momma, what's up with your fingers?" Kids gotta love how honest they are. : ) They are now back to normal, or else there would be a LOT more typos in this blog entry.


My running buddy, A, was the only reason that I finished this morning. Thank goodness for her. However, I am thankful that I have the freedom to run and in whatever workout clothes I see fit. I am thankful that I have the freedom to share with you all the gory details of my running journey. I am thankful for my freedom. If you are thankful for yours, take a moment today from your barbeques and fireworks to thank a serviceman or servicewoman for their bravery and committment to this country. If you are serving or have served this beautiful country, THANK YOU!!! Everyone have a happy and safe 4th of July. Peace, love, and fireworks.





1 comment:

  1. Your poor, sweet joints. :( Hopefully you get to feeling better soon. I love your shoes, though!

    ReplyDelete